C. C. Leader Store
A two-page 1923 newspaper account records the C. C. Leader store expanding and improving its downtown Shamokin premises.
Shamokin Stories collection
Reviewed Shamokin enterprises, shops, industries, and institutions.
A two-page 1923 newspaper account records the C. C. Leader store expanding and improving its downtown Shamokin premises.

Remembered as a busy Shamokin corner and neighborhood gathering place, Central Drug Store survives in public memory through a city mural and its accompanying history.

A surviving Shamokin postcard preserves the name and imposing downtown building of the Dime Trust and Safe Deposit Company.

A reviewed souvenir history connects Shamokin’s Eagle Run Brewery with the Fuhrmann & Schmidt Brewing Company name and also identifies Gottlieb Fritz, preserving a bounded view of the local brewery’s printed history.

Organized with local capital, Shamokin’s Edison Electric Illuminating Company brought a central-station lighting system into service in September 1883.

A partnership formed about 1922 grew into Fetterolf Chevrolet at Rock and Spurzheim Streets, serving Shamokin motorists through the city’s centennial year.
First National Bank moved from Sunbury Street near Washington to the Sunbury and Rock corner before appearing in the 1908 city portrait.
A 1908 photograph shows the Graemar Hotel in Shamokin. Its exact address has not been established, so it remains off the historical atlas.

The Eagle company’s Shamokin mill became one of the city’s major textile workplaces, remembered today through maps, a historical study, and its preserved bell and sculptural eagle.

A surviving advertisement documents Kershner Buick at the corner of Market and Commerce in Shamokin, where the business promoted sales, service, storage, and repairs.

Thomas E. Lark and Blanche Sowers Lark founded a women’s dress company in 1930 at Fifth and Walnut, where the firm remained part of Shamokin’s garment industry in 1964.

Market Street National Bank’s 1964 anniversary advertisement placed it at 12 South Market Street and described 64 years at that location.

Moser’s Store served shoppers at 100 East Independence Street from 1910 through the centennial year, with Joseph Moser and later Arthur Moser guiding a long-running dry-goods business.

National Ticket traces its Shamokin publishing work to 1903, its incorporation to 1907, and a rebuilt plant completed after a devastating 1942 fire.

A small milk route begun by the Reed brothers in October 1914 grew from 11 customers and deliveries on foot into a dairy store at 12 South First Street.

Rennas Hotel belonged to the era when downtown Shamokin’s hotels served travelers, salespeople, workers, and visiting families.

Shamokin Banking Company appears beside National Bank in the 1908 album, but changing Sunbury Street numbers require address-level rather than shared-building certainty.

Published from 1933 to 1967, the Shamokin News-Dispatch recorded local events, businesses, photographs, advertisements, and daily community life.

In the 1939 Jubilee booklet, Stevens Coal Company identified itself as operator of Cameron Colliery and producer of Cameo Coal, with additional operations at Trout Run and Trevorton.

Opened in January 1918, the Victoria Theatre served Shamokin audiences for generations before demolition and its formal removal from the National Register in 2004.
The Windsor Hotel stood at Independence and Liberty Streets, where a reviewed 1890s address and the 1907 mapped footprint support the hotel pictured in 1908.

WISL began broadcasting in 1948 from Rock and Sunbury Streets, where Radio Anthracite operated a 1,000-watt station at 1480 on the AM dial.

Yoch Bakery Company advertised Butter-Nut Bread as a Shamokin product in the 1939 Diamond Jubilee booklet.